Rita Buckley is an award-winning medical writer, journalist, author, and consultant. She writes for food industry clients, pharma and biotech firms, patient recruitment and communications agencies, nonprofits, NGOs, major news distributors, and a select number of world-renowned physician/scientists in academia. Her work typically involve some combination of research, writing, editing, and proofreading services.
Typical assignments include: attendance at and reporting on conferences, annual meetings, and symposiums; book proposals, outlines, and sample chapters; writing and/or editing textbook chapters or textbooks; video scripts; writing and/or editing fiction and nonfiction books; original research articles; web content; patient recruitment materials; grants; journal supplements; expert panel reports; consumer science and health writing; publication-ready manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals; and medical journalism for world-class news distributors.
Her work has appeared in the business press; trade publications; consumer, medical, and science websites; ResearchGate; and medical, scientific, and literary journals. She is the author of two books, Childhood Obesity (Mercury Learning and Information, LLC) and Mr. Chiardi & Other Stories, a debut collection of short stories.
Her awards from the American Medical Writers Association include:
• The 2010 Will Solimene Award for Excellence in Medical Communication for The Lehman Series: Expert Panel on Weight Loss Surgery – Update (Obesity, February 2009)
• The 2010 Will Solimene Award for Excellence in Medical Communication for What to do About High Cholesterol (Harvard Health Publications, 2009)
• The 2005 Will Solimene Award for Excellence and Outstanding Quality for the Lehman Center Report: Best Practices in Weight Loss Surgery (Obesity Research, February 2005)
• The 2005 Will Solimene Award for Excellence and Outstanding Quality for Teaching, Learning, Doing: Best Practices in Education (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, July 2005)
She is a member of the following professional groups:
• American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA)
• American Medical Writers Association (AMWA)
• National Association of Science Writers (NASW)
• The Authors Guild
• Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA)
• American Association of Health Care Journalists
• Association of Writers & Writing Programs
She is a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Nutritional Sciences.
Samples of her medical writing can be found on ResearchGate https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rita_Buckley/contributions
Her LinkedIn profile can be found at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rita-buckley
You can find her website at www.buckley-swartz.com.
Contact her at: